Our publishing house under OWS Ink, LLC—Catterfly Publishing—wants to publish you. From poetry to historical fiction, eldritch horror to YA urban Fantasy, there’s no project too big for our small press.
We are currently accepting submissions for our 2020 and beyond publishing schedule.
The details and guidelines for all submissions can be found on our submissions guidelines page here.
Please follow the instructions carefully! We want to read your work!
Please follow the submissions guidelines below before sending us your work…
What we expect from you:
- Finished, final drafts. We expect your submission to be edited and complete.
- Our submission guidelines followed, including proper subject, attachments, and body of email.
- Simultaneous submissions are encouraged, but please let us know if your work is accepted elsewhere.
- Author participation in marketing, platform building, and sales.
What to expect from us:
- We hold three years of publishing rights, during which we have the right to use your work as we wish for marketing, advertisement, inclusion in our literary journal, and more.
- Marketing, promotion, author services as needed for each author and each book we publish, including anthologies.
- No fine print, our contracts are always easy to understand.
- Excellent quality books and customer service.
- A wide variety of author services to assist indie authors.
- Competitive and fair royalties. We are not currently offering advances.
- 24-hour support.
- A community of camaraderie and support with other authors, readers, and publishers.
Due to the number of submissions we receive, unfortunately, we are unable to provide personal feedback or critique at this time, though we will do our best to answer your questions should you have them.
What we aren’t looking for:
- Improperly submitted manuscripts will be added to the slush pile unread.
- Comics and/or comic books, and short stories under 14,000 words. Please submit those to our literary journal for consideration.
- Pornographic material.
- Graphic novels
*Erotica, violence, and extreme gore are accepted on a case by case basis.
Our Standard Formatting Guidelines
- We only accept electronic submissions in .doc or .docx format.
- All short stories and novel manuscripts should follow the standard short story format.
- All manuscripts should be accompanied by a cover letter containing author information/bio, manuscript title, genre, and word count.
- All pages should be numbered beginning on page 2, and include author’s last name and title of the manuscript at the top right corner, like this: author| title| 2
- All fiction submissions must have a blurb of the work in the body of the email unless otherwise specified.
- Poetry submissions should be left justified, Title underlined, and poet name underneath the title. One poem per page.
Submissions should be sent to email@example.com.
*We reserve the right to discard any submissions that do not follow these guidelines without reading them.
*We only accept digital submissions.
*Please wait 6-8 weeks after confirmation date before inquiring
We accept all genres.
We host 2 annual anthologies a year, one fiction, one poetry.
Our 2018 anthologies:
Glass & Ashes (fiction)
What’s Your Cinderella story?
Ever After, Ella Enchanted, Disney and many more all tell the tale as old as time: the cellar maid wins the Prince. But, we know life isn’t full of happy endings and people have minds of their own. In 3500-10000 words, we want to know what your Cinderella story is. Expand that What If? What if the story went a different way? Would Cinderella’s fate change? How? Why? Where? This is an open genre call. We are only accepting the 6 most unique twists on Cinderella for publishing in this anthology.
Dates: November 15, 2017- June 15, 2018
(NOW CLOSED) Primal Elements (poetry)
Earth, Wind, Fire, Water, and Spirit. These are the 5 elementals your poetry must center around. Let your muse whisper the delights of the elements into your pen. Will you sail away in a wind propelled dreamboat? Will the water carry you to your star? Is the spirit you’ve met a part of your soul or someone else’s?
The power of the elements is great. Tap into them and tell us all about it.
Dates: November 15, 2017- March 15, 2018
Your challenge is to write 4-5 poems, one for each element (spirit is optional), and send them together as one submission. This means 4 to 5 individual poems. There is no length guideline but longer poems that tell stories are preferred. Make sure you send your best work the first time as all other submissions will be deleted.
Your fiction submission email should include Inquiry/Glass/Title of Work ( example: Inquiry/Glass/The Stone) on the subject line. Your poetry submission email should include Inquiry/Primal Elements/Last Name (example: Inquiry/Primal Elements/Ayers) on the subject line. The body of the email should include a short one paragraph synopsis of the story or blurb along with the word count for fiction entries. Please attach your author/poet bio and a clean headshot as separate documents along with your submission.*
All entries not following the standard formatting and submission guidelines will be deleted without being read. Unfortunately, we will not be able to offer feedback on rejected stories at this time.
Selected authors will receive a gratis digital copy and a portion of royalties to be determined after deadline.
For more information on guidelines, open calls, and submission details, please visit this page.
Interested in writing for our literary journal, want to submit a work of fiction, your poetry, your art, or photography for a spotlight in our magazine, please click here.
Interested in submitting content for our writing advice blog? Please visit this page for our detailed guidelines.